Filed under Showcase, Sports

Friar Track Prepares for State

Back to Article
Back to Article

Friar Track Prepares for State

Both the Men’s and Women’s track and field teams have had their fair share of success in their first few meets of the season, picking up right where they left off last year, a year that had two firsts in fenwick track history.
In 2017, the women’s team saw three athletes qualify for the state finals, with Claire Gatermann ‘19 becoming the first ever girl from fenwick to qualify for the state finals in pole vault.
The Men’s team, on the other hand, is coming off the first sectional championship in Fenwick Men’s track history, as well as a season that saw twenty-one athletes qualify for the state finals in their respective events.
In a typical track and field meet, there are 18 events that athletes compete in. These range from sprints, distance runs, jumps, throws, and vaults. Many of the athletes that participate in track and field are dual sport athletes, and use the track and field season to stay in shape.
Star senior cross country runners Margaret O’brien and Thomas Mchugh are two of many cross country runners that have found success on the track as well. O’brien qualified for state last year in the 3200m run, and is looking to put up a top time in state in that event this year.
Mchugh one of the captains on the team, has his sights set on being all conference for the 800m run, as well as qualifying for state in that event.
Senior Austin Glazier, a Fordham University football commit, has also found a home on the Track and Field team, qualifying for state last year in shot put.
Other members of both squads that are expected to make a run at state include the 4 x 200 all senior relay team of Josh Harris, Nick Tolimeri, and Lorente and Lorenzano Blakeney. The relay team, led by two captains in Harris and Tolimeri, is an experienced group with unmatched senior leadership.
A few Juniors have begun to make a name for themselves, including Joseph Wermes, who is looking for a second straight state qualification in the mile, as well as all conference honors in the same event.
Perhaps the most intriguing member of either team is Junior Claire Gatermann, who has smashed the previous school pole vault record by two feet when she cleared 10’ 6’’ at a meet in early March at Argo High School.
When asked about the vault, Track and Field coach Mr. Roche cleverly commented that “There is no place to go but up” for the junior.
The success that has been achieved so far by the team can be attributed to a plethora of things, however senior Thomas Mchugh divulged one of the best kept keys to success in an exclusive interview that took place on March 12th during a passing period in the third floor link.
“Most guys on the team, including myself, go and get pedicures on Friday nights before big meets,” the senior commented. “Not only does it help us run faster, but we have grown much closer as a team because of it.”
The Men’s and Women’s Cross Country teams are both loaded with talent and potential this year and are gearing up for the state finals which start on May 24th.
Aided by one of the best coaching staffs in the state, as well as the power of neatly pedicured feet, expect 2018 to be a season to remember for Fenwick Track and Field.