Filed under Showcase, Sports

Dynamic Duo Leaves Lasting Impression on Girls’ Basketball

William Camargo

William Camargo

It is not every year that a basketball team has one player that tallies over 1,000 points in their career, let alone two. This year, the girls’ basketball team was lead by two seniors who have tallied well over 1,000 points each in their career as Friars.
Both Mckenzie Blaze and Kate Moore have been on the varsity team since they were freshmen, and beginning with their first game four years ago, the duo have built up a legacy that will go down in Fenwick athletic history for decades.
On February 10th, both Moore and Blaze were recognized at half court before their senior night game with ceremonial basketball balls to commemorate their 1,000th point. The girls earned a hard fought victory against Taft in the game, ending a seven game skid which included losses to rivals Trinity, New Trier, and Montini Catholic.
Coach Dave Power cannot say enough about the duo, however, at one point even mentioning the names of Moore and Tricia Liston together in the same sentence.
“Kate is one of the best shooters Fenwick has ever seen. She reminds us of Tricia Liston in that regard.” Liston, of course, is one of the most talented basketball players ever to pass through Fenwick, and now has her jersey hanging in the rafters above the fieldhouse gymnasium.
In their senior campaign, the girls have fallen well short of expectations. At one point in this season, the girls were riding a six-game win streak and were well above .500, but they ended the season with only two wins in their last twelve games.
Although the team record this year is not one for the history books, Moore and Blaze added to their long list of personal accomplishments. In addition to both breaking the 1,000 point mark, Blaze was named to the Dundee Crown All-Tournament Team, and Moore was named Player of the Game at the Chicago Classic Shootout.
The duo was also named to the Niles North All-Tournament team two years in a row, a first in Fenwick girls’ basketball history.
Next year Blaze plans to play basketball in college at either DePauw University or California Polytechnic State University, while Moore has decided to hang up the sneakers after this season.
As Blaze and Moore look to move on to college next year, the girls’ basketball team is going to be left with a large void to fill. Coach Erin Power stressed the importance of getting the younger players on the team involved this year in order to prepare them for the big shoes they will have to fill in the 2018-2019 season.
Sophomores Lily Reardon and Sheila Hogan, as well as Junior Gianni Ortiz are the players expected to step up next year, as they will be the only returning starters and the ones expected to continue the tradition of excellence left behind by Blaze and Moore.