Filed under Showcase, Sports

Girls’ Volleyball Rallies Around a Cause

Back to Article
Back to Article

Lucy Lavin

Lucy Lavin

Lucy Lavin

As another season wraps up for the girls Volleyball team, the friar ladies are already happy with what they have accomplished this year, both on and off the court.
Coming off a tough loss last year to Rosary during the Sectional Semi-Final game, the girls have been working hard all year to make it as far as possible this season.
As Senior Millie Sheean says, “Our goal is to make it as far as we can but have fun and spread the saucse.” The team definitely has had their fair share of fun this year. Between 11th pd dance parties, team scavenger hunts, and hours during practice and games, the girls use their abundance of quality time together to improve and strive for success.
The dedicated players are a tight knit group, which shows through on and off the court. Junior McKenzie Moorman elaborated on this and mentioned how “the team has always been supportive of each other”, which is a recipe for success.
The team’s closeness shines through in their ability to rise up in times of difficulty. The members pride themselves on their ability to bounce back from anything, whether that be a tough loss or more serious issue.
This is well demonstrated with their “Volley for a Cure” Fundraiser. For their October fifth game against St. Lawrence, players sold wristbands to raise money for the Isabel Lopez Memorial at Comer Children’s Hospital for Pediatric Cancer Research.
This memorial is in honor of Isa Lopez, a St. Lawrence Senior that passed away of cancer a few weeks ago. The Friar ladies worked hard to help their opponent’s cause, and in the process brought together the Fenwick and St. Lawrence communities, all while raising $1,801.09 for the memorial.
On the court, this season has gone well for the team, highlighted by big wins over rivals such as Nazareth Academy in front of a packed gym. As playoffs begin, the team enters with a positive attitude.
Moorman reiterated this with her optimistic approach to the rest of the season. She talked about the team dynamic and said that the girls “have recently found a steady and strong line up that [she hopes] will take [them] deep into the playoffs”.
It is evident with their dedication and hard work both on and off the court that the Girls Volleyball team is stronger than ever, and that they are right on track to make this season unforgettable.