Filed under Sports

Girls’ LaCrosse Shows Resilience and Teamwork

By Maria Ritten
Lacrosse is currently the fastest-growing sport in the United States, and Fenwick has felt the growth of the sport this season with the Girls Lacrosse Team: team is up to fifty-six members, including twenty freshmen.  The growth of the program is coming at a great time; the varsity team is having one of its most successful seasons ever.  After finishing last year’s season 10-8, the best the team has ever done, there were high expectations for what this year would bring. 
Resilience has remained a key aspect of the team throughout the year.  Through the guidance of senior captains Dana Pape, Emily Potts, Syd Alairys, and Abby Helme, the team remained positive even in the face of difficulties.  Last year’s graduating class included three of the four close defenders, leaving junior Maria Ritten as the only returning varsity defender after senior Nora Reidy was injured.  However, through the guidance of the captains and coach Mark Yeakey, the team’s defense has regained strength.  Sophomores Anabella Dougherty and Colleen Finn have become integral parts of the defense in just half of the season. 
The Friar attack continued its success from last year, thanks to juniors Leila Leone, Mikayla Moreno, and Annie Ritten.  Mikayla and Annie, both All Conference players last season, have helped to lead the attack this year.  They are joined by junior midfielder Bridget Ritten, a two-time All-Conference player, and All State Honorable Mention last year.  Bridget leads the team in goals with thirty-seven, and in assists with sixteen.  She is in the top twenty in the state for both goals and assists, and Annie is in the top twenty in the state for her fifteen assists so far this season. 
Bridget plays midfield alongside sophomore Margaux Giacotto and junior Haley Gearen.  Haley and Margaux have both been incredible teammates this season, and their speed running from one end of the field to the other has proved invaluable.  This year’s starting midfield line has displayed time and time again their great effort to get the team the win each and every game.
Although the attack, defense, and midfield have helped the team towards its success, junior goalie Issy Marquez and sophomore goalie Grace Koerner have been incredible this season. Issy, an All-Conference player last season, and Grace, a new addition to the varsity team, have split time in the goal.  Each has been an anchor for the team, and they continue to showcase their talent game after game.
Thanks to these great goalies as well as the rest of the team, the program is currently 7-6, and is hoping to add to their total wins after upcoming games against Wheaton United, Evanston, Oak Park-River Forest, and Trinity.  The game against Trinity is the last home game of the season, and senior night.  The team would love to have a student section to show support for seniors Syd Alairys, Abby Helme, Dana Pape, Emily Potts, Caroline Miller, Becky Sepulveda, Nicolette Del Monico, and Nora Reidy.  Join the girls on Thursday, May 12, at 5:00 pm at the Priory to celebrate the contributions these seniors have made to the program.