Filed under Showcase

Students Make a Big Climb for a Good Cause

Mr. Draski

Mr. Draski

On November 5th, a team of eight Fenwick students, four parents, and three faculty members walked up 103 floors of the Willis Tower in support of the Shirley Ryan Ability Lab, a leading rehabilitation facility for both children and adults with complex conditions. Previously called the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago, the Ryan lab has aided people with the most complicated conditions like traumatic brain injuries to people with more common conditions like arthritis.
The team raised $5,000 for the cause, and finished in the top 10 in contributions. This has been Fenwick’s fifth year participating in the event, inspiring neighboring schools including Hinsdale Central to join the cause as well with a team of 52 students taking part.
Junior Alexis Attard, a three-time climber, notes that there were also firefighters decked out in their gear participating in the climb. She expresses, “It was really motivating to watch them.” Overall, the team brought an abundance of spirit and a willingness to do something good, which was evidently shown in the results.
Mr. Draski first started the Fenwick team five years ago, and they have raised over $30,000 for the hospital since then. Mr. Draski first participated in the climb when his sister asked him to join in support of a relative who was being treated at an RIC/Ability Lab. He says, “I thought it was a good cause. The Rehab Institute of Chicago, or the Ability Lab as it’s now called, has been the top place in America to go for treatment for strokes and spinal cord injuries for the last 25 years. I also felt it would be a good physical challenge (2,103 stairs) that not many people can do.”
To quote Mr. Draski, “It’s the Christian way, to help someone else.” Fenwick’s participation in this event shows the Christian value of supporting those around us that are in need.
Junior Thalia Ortiz, one the students that participated in the walk, put it this way: “It’s such a good cause. It’s not about your time or about the amount of money you are able to raise; it’s about knowing that you did something good, and were able to make a difference for someone.” Every day we are taught to do service, to help those around us, and the Fenwick Willis Tower team exemplifies this virtue.