Filed under Showcase

Rachel Schopp and the Power of Prayer

David Podstawski

David Podstawski

As Fenwick students walked into the Triton College stands on an ordinary Friday night, excited to support the football team, they were handed a mix of pink, white, and black balloons. They stood in the stands with these balloons waiting for the opening prayer.
The Fenwick students listened to Father Peddicord offer prayers to a young woman who had been in an horrible accident. After listening to Father’s inspiring words about being a community, the students finally let go of their balloons, showing their support and prayers for Rachael Schopp.
This past summer, on July 13th, Rachael Schopp was struck by a car in St. Louis, Missouri. She was quickly rushed to Barnes Jewish Hospital in St. Louis, and from this devastating event, Rachael suffered traumatic brain injuries. At Barnes Jewish Hospital, doctors removed a part of her skull in order to relieve swelling in her brain.
Rachael had a tracheostomy and she was placed on a ventilator to aid in breathing, and remained at Barnes Jewish Hospital until her condition stabilized. On August 3rd, almost a month after the accident, Racheal was air transported to Chicago. In Chicago, the goal was for Rachael to breathe without the ventilator, and since then this goal has been achieved.
Rachael is now receiving physical, speech, and occupational therapy. On September 20th, Rachael was transferred to Shirley Ryan Ability Lab in Chicago. Here, she has continued therapy and her doctors have put her on neuron-stimulants bring her to full consciousness.
Recently, about a week ago, Rachael’s responsiveness had gone down due to part of her brain beginning to swell again. She was transferred to Northwestern Memorial Hospital in order to perform a fluid draining surgery, after which she was transferred back to Shirley Ryan Ability Lab.
When senior Alyssa Catalano, a good friend of Rachael’s, was asked how we can continue to support Rachael she said, “The best way to help is by continuing to storm the heavens with prayers for Rachael.” In addition Alyssa added
a prayer that had been written for Rachael a couple weeks ago:
“Heavenly Father I call on you right now in a special way. It is through your power that I was created. Every breath I take, every morning I wake, and every moment of every hour. I live under your power. Father, I ask you now to touch Rachael with that same power. For if you created us from nothing, you can certainly recreate Rachael.
Fill her with the healing power of your spirit. Cast out anything that should not be in her. Mend what is broken. Root out any unproductive cells. Open any blocked arteries or veins and rebuild any damaged areas. Remove any inflammation and cleanse
away any infection. Let the warmth of your healing love pass through her body to make new any unhealthy areas so that her body will function the way you created it to function. And Father, restore her to full health in mind and body so that she may serve you the rest of her life. I ask this through Christ our Lord. Amen” – Father Larry J. Hess
We can also continue supporting Rachael by donating to the GoFundMe that has been created in order to help raise money for Rachael’s medical bills.
Rachael has a long road to recovery ahead and as a community, we will support Racheal every step of the way. She is and always will be part of our community. She was once in our shoes; she went through the stressful Fenwick classes and never-ending homework that we go struggle with. Rachael was, and always will be a Friar, and as Father Peddicord said at the football game, as a community we send our prayers and love to her every day.