Filed under Showcase

Big Renovations in Little Time

Alexandra Sawasciuk

Alexandra Sawasciuk

Every year, Fenwick undergoes updates to improve daily life for students and faculty alike, and this past summer was no exception. Renovations began as soon as students stepped out through the doors in the beginning of summer. Both teachers and students were pleasantly surprised when they came back to notice so many great changes.
According to Mr. Jerry Ruffino, Director of Operations, “the big project of the summer” was air conditioning and renovating the West Wing- the first portion of the old building ever to be air conditioned. Ruffino notes that the West Wing was a priority because of its susceptibility to extreme temperatures, and that the project has been “something we wanted to do for twenty years or more.” A long term goal is to get air conditioning in all parts of the school, but this is a great start for now.
As for the chapel, renovations have been ongoing for two years, and finally reached completion over this past summer. Students will notice a remodeled entryway as well as restored pews, stained glass windows, walls, and marble flooring- all thanks to the generosity of Angelo Mazzone III ’68 and Centennial Campaign donors.
In addition to the bigger, more noticeable changes, there were some smaller renovations made around the school. Ground floor lockers were replaced in the main building, and Ruffino reports that the process of replacing lockers throughout the entire school is still underway.
In sports-related news, the boy’s locker room was remodeled, which was an admittedly major project due to the dire conditions of the space. The locker room now features new faucets and showers, as well as a fresh paint job. What’s more, the priory received a new turf soccer field, courtesy of Centennial Capital Campaign donors, for which Fenwick had been planning for the past ten years. This improvement will surely be appreciated by student athletes who know the tendency the field had to flood.
Prospects for future renovations include the installation of air conditioning throughout the priory and old building, a project that has been “in the works for the last five years;” the continued replacement of windows, an undertaking begun seven years ago and the completion of the boys locker room. Students will be happy to hear that, in the near future, the condominium building on Scoville will be torn down and replaced with Fenwick parking. Major renovations spanning the next twenty years are also in the works.
Evidently, renovations around the school have a direct effect on the attitude of students. With so many changes, an atmosphere of positivity radiates through the halls. So, as second quarter commences, students can stop by the chapel or revel in the coolness of their classrooms, as they take a moment to reflect on the renovations they want for their futures.