Filed under Opinion

The Legacy of Mr. Ramzi Farran

Will Flaherty

Will Flaherty

By Monica Prokup
Passionate. Unique. Caring. These are just a few of the many words that students, as well as faculty, have used to describe one of Fenwick’s finest teachers: Mr. Farran. However, as much as we love him, there is still much we don’t know about him. Why did he come to Fenwick in the first place? What’s the scariest lab experience he’s ever had? And why did he choose to stay at Fenwick for so long? I chatted with Mr. Farran himself to find out and to hear about his final days teaching here at Fenwick High School.
Mr. Farran originally came to Oak Park so his wife could finish her Ph.D. in Chicago. After arriving, it happened that Fenwick had an opening in teaching chemistry. Since then, he’s been teaching here for thirty-five years, something that many teachers today can only dream of.
Upon asking why Mr. Farran decided to stay for so long, he started to smile. “The sense of community at Fenwick is wonderful. Accepting somebody with an accent, and the supportive faculty and administration helped me to build successful academic programs for great students.”
No matter what lab he teaches, Mr. Farran explains that he always is tense for fear of the student’s safety, especially if the class is very crowded or exhausted.
As many students, especially his own, know, the one place you can always find Mr. Farran at is sporting events and school productions. Some of the water polo championship games and girl’s basketball games, according to Mr. Farran: “make my heart beat so fast I feel as if I want to leave, as not to have a heart attack.” A large event that shaped his drive to come to over 100 sporting events each year was in 1992, when the school became coeducational: “ I promised myself 25 years ago that if we went coed I would support all girls athletic programs, and God as well as the coaches know that I have kept my promise.”
It’s safe to say that generations of Fenwick who will never experience Mr. Farran will be missing out on a lot. He never fails to put a smile on the faces of all the students and willfully supports each and every Fenwick activity, ranging from basketball to spring musicals. His genuine concern for all students, and love for teaching is something that Fenwick will have a hard time finding in a teacher once again.
As for what Mr. Farran will miss at Fenwick? Quite simply put, he says: “I will miss the laughter, discussions, solving problems, chalk dust, the community, prayers, winning science competitions, school games, exams, graduations, and college acceptance letters.” It’s the end of an era here, and Mr. Farran will be missed immensely by faculty and staff in the upcoming years.