Filed under Opinion

The Importance of Living in the Moment

It’s safe to say that at Fenwick, we are all busy people. From sports practices to extracurricular activities to hard academic classes, we certainly have a lot to juggle. While it’s so easy to worry about a difficult test you just took or your upcoming sports event on Saturday, it’s more important to live in the moment. By this I mean that we should focus on the things we are doing right here and now. Unfortunately, it is not natural for us to focus on and to appreciate our current circumstances. ​From personal experience, I have found that nothing good can come from worrying about the past. A lot of times, when we obsess over the things we have already done, we cannot enjoy the present moment. In fact, a recent Harvard study has shown that “reminiscing, thinking ahead or daydreaming tends to make people more miserable.” Therefore, if we really want to be happy, we need to concentrate on making the best of the present moment.

On the other hand, thinking about the future obsessively also has a negative impact on our lives. Our busy schedules do not allow us to look at the present and realize that we may not have a tomorrow. Living every day as if it’s our last is important because it accomplishes more than if we set too many unreasonable future goals.

In addition, I’ve noticed that things are never as bad as they seem. Not doing so well on one quiz won’t ruin your grade. Forgetting your lunch at home isn’t the end of the world. Instead of dwelling on our mistakes, we should learn from them so we can have a better present and better future. As Eleanor Roosevelt once said, “The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.”