Filed under Opinion

Republicans Win, Americans Lose

The Republican bases for the 2016 Presidential Election are highly fragmented. The election marks the most candidates running for a major political party ever. Thus, several insider and outsider politicians have received the golden ticket in the hopes of sleeping comfortably within The White House.
For the sake of extended metaphor, look to Agatha Christie’s novel And Then There Were None for meticulous process of elimination. For brevity, look to only the eight major candidates with the significant majority of polling percentage (even if Chris Christie is “telling it how it is”).
And then there were eight, Re: John Kasich
As governor of Ohio, he is supposedly most efficacious and with good intentions. Trust is a major factor in voting for the American People. Further, the word “lobbyist” is enough to make many cringe. Lobbyists sway politicians according to the desires of their clients. Christie stated: “If you’re not on the bus, we’ll run over you with the bus. And I’m not kidding.” For a major candidate to advocate politics like a lucrative sports franchise creates uneasiness. This is not realism; it is fatalism.

Elimination.
And then there were seven, Re: Carly Fiorina
Being the first woman to lead a Fortune top20 company, she has climbed to perhaps the top of the hierarchy. First wrong in her argumentation is thinking CEO of Hewlett-Packard to be a defining credential. Yes, she ran HP. No, not well. Under her watch, HP saw an over $2 billion increase in debt and an almost 50% drop in stock. Second, even if America were a corporation, it would not be far off to say mismanagement could be a key contributor to indebtedness and ill fate.

Elimination.
And then there were six, Re: Rand Paul.
As Senator from Kentucky and ophthalmologist, Paul can see the eyes of the people best. Next step to favorability is carrying out the plans put forth. As president, he would implement a flat tax policy (the poor and rich would pay the same % of taxes according to respective incomes). Unfortunately, the statement does not uphold economic theory as taxes are raised on the indigent and lowered on the rich. It is a “Fair and flat tax plan” without fairness.

Elimination.
And then there were six, Re: Jeb Bush
Within the renowned Bush family is Jeb with the silver spoon in his mouth. Sometimes, though, the super insiders can be good leaders, as seen during his reign as Florida governor. He is colorful and has an interesting palette of argument. In reference to his energy policy, he stated: “Drill, baby, drill.” Is it America’s national interest to prioritize drilling for oil? How would citizenry be affected by more intervention in foreign as well as environmental affairs?

Elimination.
And then there were four, Re: Ted Cruz
Known as debate king, Cruz is senator from Texas. His 24 hour filibuster was enough to show his dedication. Imagine America in ‘Cruz’ control. He opposed the “Disclose Act,” a bill that would require political action committees, corporations, and other groups to disclose on whose behalf they are spending money. Cruz therefore disagreed with transparency of financing which greatly influences voters.

Elimination.
And then there were three, Re: Marco Rubio
With the highest in polling for an actual politician, the Florida Senator is the youthful face. But, Rubio disagrees with the scientific idea of climate change. Competency comes into question when disregarding the absolute fact that humans’ carbon footprint can hurt the environment. He said: “I believe climate is changing because there’s never been a moment where the climate is not changing.” Mr. Rubio mistakes the climate for weather.

Elimination.
And then there were two, Re: Ben Carson.
As a highly paid neurosurgeon, Carson is defined as controversy itself. He has created infinitely humorous sound bytes. Surely, his conservatism draws supporters. As an outsider, Carson has no true political experience. The American people may become shaky with his support of flat tax and rejection of climate change. He could be president, but it would not be in the best interest of the American people.

Elimination.
And then there was one, Re: Donald Trump
Elimination.
And then there were none, Re: the American People.
To clarify, all of these candidates can potentially be president. As with anything, each can bring benefit though also shortcoming. At the end of Agatha Christie’s novel, no soul remained alive. At the end of the 2016 election, perhaps no candidate is the best fit piece to America’s intricate puzzle. With the array of possible candidates, Americans have to choose from a narrow gate.