Filed under Friar Nation

Fenwick Celebrates Dominican Month of Peace

This December marks the first annual Dominican month of peace. Recently,the Dominican Order has felt the need to show unity in their mission for peace. The month of December has been selected because it is the month of preparation for Jesus, also called the Prince of Peace. Officially, the month of peace begins with the first Sunday of advent and comes to a close on January 1st, which is the Church’s World Day of Peace.
This year the Dominicans will focus their efforts and prayers on Colombia. Colombia has been in a period of unrest due to guerrillas fighting the federal government. Dominicans in the area have long supported the peace accord that has brought the two sides together. The peace accord marks the end of over 50 years of fighting.
The Dominican order has constructed their month of peace into a mission. First and foremost the Dominicans will be supporting Columbia with prayers. Prayer vigils will be organized by different groups. As the Dominicans are an order of preachers, they have been asked to include talks of the Colombian peace accord into their preaching this advent season. The order is collecting works of art to be sent to Colombia to show unity to those living there. The art will be displayed as symbols of peace and will help raise recognition for the ongoing struggle for peace.
In addition to creating art, Dominicans can also volunteer to go to Columbia and teach art to members of the order there. The Order will also be collecting money in order to fund an institute. It is called the Institute of Research and Formation and its focus is on teaching members of Colombia’s churches and communities how to spread peace. The Dominicans will be in contact with the Colombian embassy to ensure that help is provided where it is neededmost. The Dominican month of peace is a living embodiment of the Order’s fundamental value of preaching. Fenwick will be joining the month of peace in a few ways.
Father Dennis says there will be “daily reflections over the PA based on Pope John XXIII’s Pacem in Terris (Peace on Earth) and the United States’ Bishops document The Challenge of Peace.” Fenwick is beginning its month of peace with an all school mass on the Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception. Following mass, the Preaching team will be passing out wristbands that say “#peace FHS”. According to Father Dennis the Dominicans “figure these will be really popular!” Further information on Fenwick’s participation in the month of peace will be available on the campus ministry bulletin board.