Filed under Friar Nation, Showcase

Hola! Ciao! to our New Language Teachers

Signora Dalacic instructs an Italian I class.

Among the 20 new teachers that have joined the administration this year, 3 stand out as language instructors. Each of them shares a passion for travel and language, as well as exploring the diversity that the world has to offer.
Signora Dalacic, a new Italian I teacher, grew up in Italy and, afterwards, attended high school and university there. She notes that high school in Italy was very different from high school here as she mentions that the curriculum there is 5 years long. She did not have the option to do as many extracurricular activities or sports that American students are able to do. Signoria Dalacic moved to America 19 years ago. Upon her arrival, she was offered the job to teach Italian at a Catholic grade school. She shares that working with younger kids is a very different experience and she’s excited to teach high school students who will be able to absorb material more efficiently. Signora Dalacic expresses, that in today’s world, we have the ability to travel anywhere, and knowing more than one language gives easy access to the world’s cultures. She asserts that no matter what field you end up in, communication is important and language is an integral part of it.
Señora Dillon, a new Spanish teacher, was born and raised in Mexico and attended school there. She also describes her high school experience as very different than ours here in America. She moved the the states 20 years ago, and for 18 years she was a Spanish television news reporter. Working in Telemundo, she received seven Chicago Regional Emmy Awards. Her background in the television world allows her to share her knowledge with the broadcasting club. Señora Dillon is excited to see that Fenwick has the resources of broadcasting and television, both of which connect us to the wide variety of communication that language is the center of.
Señora Lilek, another new Spanish teacher, is a Fenwick alumna, and is looking forward to impact her students the way that her teachers impacted her. She expresses that as a student, as well as part of the faculty, she tends to feel a sense of community around Fenwick. Having grandparents who only spoke Spanish, she grew up interested and eager to learn more about the language and culture. In addition to her at-home exposure to language, she has been studying Spanish in school since seventh grade. With her experience and exuberance, Señora Lilek is sure to be a great addition to the already prominent language department.
All three teachers seemed to agree on the fact that, as a whole, Fenwick is quite a unique place to work. With the presence of Signora Dalacic, Señora Dillon, and Señora Lilek, a greater sense of diversity and exposure to culture lies in the distance ahead.