Filed under Friar Nation, Showcase

Brand New Club Tackles Age Old Issue

By Susan Zeh
Although there are many clubs and activities at Fenwick, there has probably never been one quite as unique as this one. Moderated by Mrs. Visteen and founded by two Fenwick students, Isabel Brennan and Sophia Pethokoukis, Equality Club is a new and exciting club that discusses social issues related to equality.
With much of Fenwick’s emphasis placed on academics and sports, people sometimes forget that Fenwick has great diversity as well. Although sports and academics are important, opening yourself up to new experiences and meeting new people with different viewpoints than your own is equally as consequential. The real world is full of many diverse people who come from diverse backgrounds, and Equality Club’s founders hope to emphasize just that. “You’re really missing out if you don’t open yourself up to what the world is really like,” Sophia said.
Equality club only meets once or twice a month, usually on Mondays. Meetings are held in Room 8 after Period 11, where they are led by a club member. The club member who is leading typically brings in an article or PowerPoint about an issue they want to discuss, then guides a discussion focusing on that topic. Past issues discussed have been gender inequality and intersectionality, led by Sophia, and political inequality, led by another club member.
The issues that are discussed in Equality Club are arguably very important in modern day life, and to function in the outside world, people need to be educated about them. Especially in a place like Fenwick, with so many bright young minds, “We have an obligation to not be ignorant,” as Sophia said.
Although only ten or fifteen people come to the meetings “on a good day,” attendance is not at all mandatory. “It’s very relaxed,” Isabel said. Just come whenever you can make the meeting, and don’t worry if you are not available.
Although it may seem as though one club is not enough to make a difference in the Fenwick community, its founders believe that making a difference is not as hard as most people believe.
They say that making a difference can be as simple as “creating an open discussion and sharing new ideas,” or listening to other’s opinions, even if you don’t necessarily agree. In today’s political climate, that last point mentioned is especially important if we wish to create civil discussions around emotionally charged political issues.
Although some issues discussed may be controversial, there aren’t any topics that are completely off limits. “If you have something that you want to present and discuss that you think is a valid issue… As long as you do it in an intellectual and respectful manner, there shouldn’t really be any problems,” explained Isabel. We are excited to see what the equality club will do to make a difference in the community.