Filed under Friar Nation, Showcase

Investment Club Gets Competitive

Will Flaherty

Will Flaherty

By Rich Moraga
The Investment Competition Club is one of the many extracurricular activities surfacing at Fenwick High School. Although it has been operating for quite some time now, it can easily be considered one of the lesser known clubs at Fenwick. If you have not heard of this club and are interested in what the club has to offer, please read ahead. If you have not heard about this club before but are not interested in joining the club, please still read ahead. Because it is adding a new component soon, now would be a perfect time to try something new and to explore your future career options.
The investment club is currently running three different parts. The goal of all three components, however, is to teach students about the basics of investing and also to prepare for competitions.
The first part is a mock investing game that simulates The New York Stock Exchange (NYSE), giving each team $100,000 in fake money that they then invest in companies that are traded on the NYSE. This first component is strictly devoted to learning the basics of the financial industry especially for those who have no experience whatsoever. However, it is never too late to get involved.
The second part starts during the second semester of the school year. It is composed of presentations, lectures, and seminars where successful business people and executives at companies or entrepreneurs offer their time to visit Fenwick. Basically any representative of the business and financial industry is welcome to speak with the members of the club. They talk about their working experiences and anecdotes, the types of degrees that employers look for, tips on getting hired in the business world, and any other advice that is unique to their field of study and their jobs. This component of the club is crucial because the speakers give speeches and teach more complex ideas that the club leaders are not capable of doing.
At the moment, the most notable person that is scheduled to come to a meeting is Jim Perry, an executive at Madison Dearborn Partners. MDP is a large private equity firm in Chicago that is worth over 20 billion dollars. Essentially meaning that this man is a big deal in the business world. I would not miss out on such a great opportunity to explore my future career options. Anyone who may be interested in exploring a business career should consider attending this presentation because of the nuances in the business world.
The third part, which is the newest to date, is an options exchange competition. The competition is being organized by the Chicago Board Options Exchange (CBOE) and is similar to the first component (NYSE simulation) in that each school participating will use fake funds and create teams to participate in the competition that will be kicking off early in the spring.
As for the future, the team members are currently working with Dr. Lordan, the moderator of the club, and the business board to resurrect the Fenwick Global Microfinance Club, which aims to help finance the very smallest of business ventures in some of the poorest nations in the world.
Unfortunately the club was lost when the founders left Fenwick and there was not much discussion of the club afterwards. It just disappeared There are a lot of intricacies involved in setting up the club and donating money, but they are in the process of solving those problems. They hope to have the club up and running in the middle of of the second semester.
However, if that is not a possibility, Quinn and Pat will be working to make sure it is finished by the end of the year so by next year other students will be able to give back what Quinn, Pat, and Jeremy worked so hard to bring back to Fenwick.
Led by three seniors, the club is in need of leaders for its future. Seniors Pat Moore, Quinn Shaughnessy, and Jeremy Winkiel are headed to college next year and are looking to recruit new members. With that being said, anyone who is interested but not in the Investment Club can email Pat Moore, Quinn Shaughnessy, or Jeremy Winkiel for details on how to join in on the action that is set to take place very soon. The club meets every Thursday in the language lab after Period 11. No experience is necessary to get involved.