Filed under Features, Showcase

Behind the Scenes at Yearbook

Every year, the yearbook committee finds a way to hit it out of the park with their yearbooks. Many don’t consider the amount of work that goes into this one compilation of an entire school year. I contacted the head of the yearbook class, Ms. Ori, and scheduled a time in which I observed how much work actually goes into our beloved Fenwick yearbooks.
Needless to say, each member of the class exceeded expectations, and it was interesting to watch them hard at work. After speaking with self-proclaimed “Yearbook Captains” Maeve Cooney and Annie Sullivan of the class of 2018, I got a taste of how the class works in order to create a yearbook that annually pleases the student body.
For the first half of my observation of the class, I simply watched each student do their individual work. Everyone had their own job and immediately began to work at the ring of the bell. Some worked alone and some worked in pairs. Senior editor Sabrina Tartaglia worked on a senior picture page, including answers to the yearly yearbook surveys from other students in the senior class. Students sifted through countless pictures and chose them meticulously and carefully to give the perfect depiction of their assigned club or team. Others are proofreading drafts of completed pages, and some are reviewing academic and athletic team records in order to include the most impressive highlights for the teams’ respective pages. The atmosphere is friendly but focused. Everyone is clearly dedicated to their work.
Each yearbook has a theme, and this year’s theme is “passport”. “The original theme was space,” says Cooney, but some people had a problem with it, so we resorted to passport.” Sullivan expounded on the topic, warning the student body, “Watch out for the 2018 yearbook, it’s going to be hot like a rocket ship from Mars.” When I asked how exactly the theme is decided upon, Cooney and Sullivan responded with, “Ms. Ori tells us no, so we go on to the next option… We also look through old yearbooks for inspiration.”
Twelve students work together in total, along with Ms. Ori. From day one, every student begins to work on their assigned page. If a student is in a certain club or team, odds are they will request to do the page for that club or team so first hand experience can be used to write for the page. “Football managers get the football page, naturally,” says Cooney. The hardest pages, students say, are the pages in which nobody in the class takes part in. In order to do that page, they have to search for outside resources, whether they are coaches, moderators, or student captains that can supply vital information. For photos, Ms. Ori told me about the reliable photographer Fenwick uses. “Yearbook is lucky enough to work with a photographer called Marshall Photography and they take the majority of student and faculty photos, group club photos, and some of the sports action shots.”
The yearbook class meets three days a week. Each page, on average, takes two weeks to a month to complete. Most of that time is used for proofreading and re-reading the pages over and over to ensure top notch work is completed. The yearbook is completed between late March and early April each year. When we all receive the 2016/2017 yearbook, take a moment to reflect on the hard work that our fellow Friars put into the fabulous work that they do!