Filed under Features, Showcase

She’s Got the Power

Will Flaherty

Will Flaherty

By Sophia Rodriguez
Ms. Erin Power is no novice in the Fenwick community. She graduated from Fenwick in 2007, and says she still encounters teachers who will do a double take when they realize that she was their pupil. She finds it odd to be called Ms. Power instead of being referred to by her first name. As well as being an alumna, Ms. Power’s father, Mr. David Power, is a longstanding coach of the Girl’s Basketball team at Fenwick. Ms. Power recollects: “my childhood was spent here [at Fenwick]”, and after she “spent four of the best years of my life” at the school, she never thought she would ever come back.
After graduating, Ms. Power worked in different fields of social work, including hospice care and individual therapy for children with severe psychiatric illnesses. She felt she needed a break from therapy and turned in an application to teach health for the second semester of the 2016 school year. She was accepted, and this year she has returned to teach five freshman health classes. Fenwick is her first teaching job and she hopes to be able to “teach happy and healthy kids to continue to be happy and healthy”.
Ms. Power is helping to coach Girls’ Cross Country this fall season, as well as Track and Field in the spring. She will be the assistant coach to her father for Girl’s Varsity Basketball this year as well. She played all of these sports at Fenwick herself, and has also had numerous requests from students to supervise a Glee Club, which she says she knows nothing about.
In the summer of 2015, Ms. Power spent six weeks hiking the Appalachian Trail with her dog. She reminisced on how it was painful but coming upon one incredible view would make the whole trip worthwhile. She enjoys reading and she currently works part time as a dog trainer. She says there is a lot of overlap between dog training methods and teaching methods. She enjoys being a role model for her students, as well as knowing the “impact you can have on their lives”
Using various teaching methods such as discussions and lectures, Ms. Power hopes her students will learn more about health in current events, such as the Flint Michigan Water Crisis or the Zika virus. She loves when students come in the next day and mention that they read more about the topic on their own, as it helps them learn more about how health relates to the world.
Ms. Power wants to help bring more tradition to the community. She hopes she can add “new energy to the Health department (not that the other Health teachers are not already wonderful)”. So far, the community has been “fantastic” and “super welcoming”, which she says with a smile. “Once you are part of the community, you always will be”.