Filed under Beyond the Moat

Trump’s Faceoff With Kim Has Limited Strategic Use

Illustration by Maura Hopkinson

Illustration by Maura Hopkinson

Illustration by Maura Hopkinson

The deaths of millions of Korean, Japanese, and American citizens, and the liberation of tens of millions of economically stunted and brainwashed peoples, or the world’s approval of a totalitarian, inhumane, and communist dictatorship? As North Korea’s realization of an Intercontinental Ballistic Missile (ICBM) capable of hitting the United States becomes clearer every day, foreign policy makers are forced to walk a tightrope between threatening the Kim Jong Un regime with threats and embargos, and risking nuclear retaliation. With the election of President Donald Trump, who has threatened to end Kim’s regime with ‘fire and fury’, the motivation for North Korea to pursue the proliferation of their nuclear arms has become more pertinent to their survival.
Currently, North Korea’s capabilities of harming the United States are limited by their failure to develop nuclear capable ICBMs, which would be able to cross the Pacific Ocean. However, even if North Korea fails to create a meaningful threat against the United States, North Korea’s missile program has produced rockets capable of hitting important targets in South Korea, Japan, and U.S. Territories in the Pacific. Intelligence agencies also estimate that North Korea has enough plutonium for six nuclear warheads.
Still, even without their missile program, North Korea’s presence in the Demilitarized Zone, the border between North and South Korea, is pervasive. Approximately 8,000 artillery guns are arranged northward of the border and are well within range of Seoul, a city containing tens of millions of people.
Since an invasion of North Korea is not a viable option, there are three realistic options for how the United States may proceed in reacting to the nuclear threat. The first strategy includes a continuous peppering of North Korea with small assaults and embargos to discourage their pursuing of nuclear arms, while avoiding any major retaliations from North Korea. This strategy is ambivalent to North Korea’s survival, focusing purely on cutting the progress of their nuclear program.
In contrast, the second plan is a concentrated effort to assassinate Kim Jong-Un and his other high-ranking officials. This plan would obviously be difficult to complete, and it also would not guarantee that forces within North Korea still would not retaliate. Even if this plan goes successfully, a country with tens of millions of people, who have been brainwashed to believe foreigners are biased warmongers, will need aid to bring their country into the modern world.
The third and final strategy is a silent admission that North Korea will eventually complete their nuclear arms research. Military force would not be used, in fear of large-scale conflict. As perhaps the most common outcome, this scenario raises memories of the Cold War standoffs that heightened fear and anxiety throughout the world.