Hidden Gems of Netflix

In our world, it has become increasingly easy to stay up to date on the latest movies, television shows and documentaries thanks to the abundance of streaming services we have at our disposal. Anyone with the popular streaming service Netflix knows that season upon season of the most popular teen dramas, comedies, reality television, and, of course, a plethora of Disney movies are all just a click away.
But Netflix holds more than just the mainstream shows and popular family films; there are programs for fans of even the most obscure genres.
Some of Netflix’s best kept secrets are found in its vast selection of documentaries
Favorites include What Happened, Miss Simone?, an intense depiction of the inspiring life of the musician and political activist Nina Simone. Two incredible “rock docs” that can be found on Netflix are It Might Get Loud, and Janis: Little Girl Blue. The former is a documentary about a meeting of great guitarists Jimmy Page, The Edge, and Jack White. The documentary brings rock fans from all generations together. Janis is a biographical documentary of the life of legendary blues singer Janis Joplin and her incredible – yet short – life.
For fans of crime or mystery television shows and movies, the documentary The Imposter might be a good choice. It follows the disappearance of a 13-year-old boy from Texas and his reappearance in Spain three years later.
For fans of independent films and innovative cinema, it doesn’t get more creative than the 2017 film Okja. Okja stars Seo-Hyun Ahn as Mija, a young South Korean girl who is trying to save her pet “super pig” from being taken away by a large conglomerate that is run by Tilda Swinton’s character Lucy Mirando. This film, which did exceptionally well at the Cannes Film Festival this year, uses whimsical plots and special effects to highlight real issues in the world we live in.
Another great independent film available on Netflix is Wes Anderson’s Moonrise Kingdom, which follows 12-year-old misfits Suzy and Sam as they fall in love in their quirky home town in New England. For fans of Wes Anderson’s other films featured on Netflix, such as The Life Aquatic, this movie will not disappoint.
And last but not least: television series. Netflix has no shortage of fantastic programs ranging from baking competitions to historical dramas.
Fans of crime television and shows like Criminal Minds and The X-Files will love Twin Peaks. Released in the 90’s, it is a thrilling account of FBI agent Dale Cooper’s murder investigation in the small town of Twin Peaks. Fans of Stranger Things will enjoy the retro feel and 80s vibe of this thrilling show.
Another amazing series that history buffs will enjoy is the Ken Burns miniseries The Civil War, which is about exactly what it sounds like: America’s civil war.
For the comedy fan in all of us, Portlandia is a good choice. Viewers will enjoy its quick humor, amazing actors Fred Armisen and Carrie Brownstein, and general oddity.
So, next time when you’re looking for something to watch on your favorite streaming service – after you’ve finished Grey’s Anatomy and The Office for the fifth time, of course – try turning to one of these amazing but lesser known documentaries, movies, or series.