Hamilton Takes Chicago by Storm

by Lillie Gihl and the Wick Staff
Do you happen to have $1,000 lying around? If so, then you’re in luck! That’s about the price of a ticket for the hit musical Hamilton, which has turned regular theatre-goers into fanatics about one of America’s most influential founding fathers. After smashing the charts in New York, fans across the United States begged for a chance to see Hamilton in their own cities. Unsurprisingly, their wish was granted, and the Hamilton national tour was set to start in March, 2017.
However, before the national tour was to start, Hamilton had to make an important first stop: Chicago. When performance dates were announced for the show to play in the Private Bank Theatre, separate from the actual tour, tickets were sold out in seconds online when they went on sale. Some people even camped outside the box office for hours, praying they would be lucky enough to score a ticket. The show plans to be in town for a long time. However, the first six months worth of tickets are sold out- unless you want to pay upwards of 10,000 dollars to scalpers who by the tickets and resell them.
Because of its popularity, the show was nominated for 16 Tony nominations and won 11, adding to the hype of the amazing show, and making it even harder for fans to see it live. The musical consists of 46 songs that were meticulously written by Lin Manuel Miranda.
You might be wondering why a musical about one of our founding fathers is so popular. The answer lies in the style of music: hip hop. Throughout the show, Hamilton’s trials and tribulations are expressed through rap, creating an unorthodox, but effective method of storytelling. In fact, Lin Manuel Miranda, the composer and writer of Hamilton, is one of the first directors to have ever included rap into a Broadway musical, creating an entirely new genre of shows for composers in the future to build on to. Because of this, the musical itself proves to be quite unique in telling the story of Alexander Hamilton, our first secretary of the treasury. Originally an orphan from the Carribean, he immigrated to America as a young man. Hamilton, along with Marquis de Lafayette, John Laurens, and Hercules Mulligan, become instrumental figures in helping the colonies win The American Revolution. The musical then goes on to explain Hamilton’s role as a founding father, and his son’s tragic death in a duel, as well as Hamilton’s own death, ironically in a duel too.
Even if you don’t have $1,000, there are still many ways to get involved in Hamilton, whether it be on social media or just by listening to the soundtrack. Although not like a traditional musical, the incredibly written soundtrack and wonderfully talented cast are sure to not disappoint- whether you see it online or in person.